Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Ugghh...Lesbians!

Saturday night we invited our friend Abbie over for a last minute BBQ. Abbie is going through a very nasty divorce and her father just died...not an easy year so far for our Abbie! Anyway, we were BBQ'ing burgers and we needed some buns. We also needed firewood for the outdoor fireplace.

So, against my better judgement we decided to go to Wal-Mart and get both things at once. I really detest Wal-Mart. Whenever I go there I get very tense and stressed out. I won't go into all of the reasons that I get tense, but suffice it to say I am usually grumpy by the time I leave.

Trey and I are walking down an aisle, not really talking..just kind of focused on getting the things that we need. Let me pause to describe Trey & I. We really are the stereotype of "Butch & Lipstick". Trey has very short hair, wears shorts and t-shirts, no make-up, totally cute! I have long hair, wear make-up, dresses, very girly. You get the picture. And just let me stress this-we are not in any way shape or form threatening! Anyway, we are walking down an aisle in the store, not holding hands or anyway and this couple walks by us-typical hetero couple and the guy turns to his wife/girlfriend/friend after looking at us and says "Uggghh...Lesbians!" She leans in and whispers something to him and then turns and looks at both of us. Trey wasn't paying attention to them and didn't really see or hear what was going on. So, I look straight at the woman who is giving us the "evil" eye and say to her quite loudly, "Seriously?" She kind of started a bit, turned a little green around the gills and quickly looked the other way. Of course Trey heard me and she asked what was going on. I told her and she looked at the couple hurriedly walking as quickly as possible away from us and then we just started giggling. The couple had the lesbian fear in them now! What did they think we were going to do? Jump them and tattoo them with rainbows? Hit them repeatedly over the head while screaming "You must accept us!" Incapacitate them and then force them to watch us kiss each other?

Of course we did none of those things. Although we did seriously consider if we saw them again in the store that we would kiss each other in front of them. But that was just me being spiteful.

I guess it hurts me that in this day and age there are still people who think this way. I know there are so many people out there like that..I guess I just live in an insulated world of acceptance. Which in some ways makes me very lucky..I am loved and accepted. And for me a lesson in acceptance and judgement.

No comments:

Post a Comment